Tuesday, October 28, 2008

For Your Eyes Only

Several months ago, when Smash and I first discussed starting a blog, we encountered a bit of skepticism from my husband-- let's call him Joe. Joe opined that he would expect to see the blog up and running just about..... never. Granted, a blog did have the sound of a new "project" and I'll be the first to admit that some previous endeavors didn't quite work out. But how can anyone finish crocheting an afghan after the pattern somehow goes askew and the shape becomes decidedly not rectangular? Who says that membership in a pricey fitness club translates into actual daily (weekly or occasional) exercise? And I AM still working on getting all the old photographs into albums. So there. But Joe took us seriously enough to mention the proposed blog to our college-age daughter who immediately got her back up and declared she knew that the only reason we would write a blog would be to write about HER! After that reaction, I thought it best just not to mention the subject to my oldest daughter, who, by the very nature of being the first-born, might call foul for not being included. Other than to Smash, I never spoke of the blog again, and I assume all memories of the original discussion are long forgotten.

I haven't told anyone, family or friends, that Smash and I are actually writing. I'm not sure why. Smash tells me that she has eagerly shown both friends and co-workers. I don't know why I'm reluctant. After all, I surely don't plan to write anything hurtful or derogatory about the people I care about. So why the hesitation? Perhaps it's a holdover from the years spent keeping secrets. Not big, important, or hurtful secrets.... just those little nothings that are shared by each daughter with her mom, little things that seem big at the time, hopes that may or may not turn into realities, realities that might make someone else feel hurt or envious. I listen, I process, I keep quiet. Other people's secrets are not mine to tell.

Still, it's unusual for me to have a secret of my own making. My life is for the most part the proverbial open book. Any blog entry even hinting at mystery or intrigue would most decidedly not be about me. I want people to read the blog. I hope they will find what Smash and I have to say both entertaining and interesting. I hope they'll comment and initiate new discussions. But unlike many of the blogs I myself read and enjoy, I can't make my entries a journal of my daily activities. Trust me, that would be sleep-inducing. So, instead I'll try to offer up things I think about, things that strike me as funny, things that drive me to distraction. And maybe, after awhile, I'll tell someone about the blog. But, for now, it's just our little secret.

No comments: